Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Story of My Last Collision

I don't think I have rambled on about my car accident on this particular space yet. They say you should write about what you know and anyone who has had an auto collision can tell you that the details stick with you (when you are a sober driver at least) and that you have an urge to recount them dozens of times.

There was a confusing bit of traffic ahead of me...

An oncoming car was veering out into my lane to go around the front of a truck that was trying to nose into the street from a parking lot. I pulled over as far as I could and came to a dead stop. After the car had gone by, the old guy driving the truck started making a surprisingly wide turn towards me. He had the sun shining in his eyes and he couldn't see me at all.

I have practiced honking my horn quite a bit since then, but at the time my reflexes were insufficient. He drove his bumper into my driver's side headlamp. I have Cheap Car Insurance and I didn't want a claim to result in an increase. Besides, I drive an old Skoda and I expected the replacement parts to be cheap. As it turned out, a headlamp costs almost exactly as much as the deductible. I developed a conspiracy theory about that. I was able to save some money by doing the 'body work' myself. I used the heel of my workboot.

No comments: